sports

Jeanie Buss unsure if LeBron James will return to Lakers

Jeanie Buss unsure if LeBron James will return to Lakers originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

The future of LeBron James after this season is the biggest question surrounding the Los Angeles Lakers, and former owner Jeanie Buss is weighing in.

Buss told CNBC she hasn't heard anything definitive regarding James' future.

"Never say never, but he certainly hasn't given an indication," Buss said. "He's earned the right to decide how his career will go, and he continues to impress."

More:Former Laker Juan Toscano-Anderson weighs in on GOAT debate

Buss' comments come after last month's ESPN report that detailed her tumultuous relationship with James behind the scenes. The report alleged that Buss, who sold the Lakers last summer, grew jealous of James' prominent role within the franchise.

She sold her majority stake of the Lakers to billionaire Mark Walter, ending the Buss family's 46-year reign over the team. The Buss family still owns a 15% minority stake in the franchise, with Jeanie still serving as governor.

James spoke with the media ahead of the 2026 NBA All-Star Game. He was noncommittal about his plans, stating he's "unsure" if he'll return for another season.

LeBron's uncertain future is an inflection point for the Lakers, as he's been the face of the franchise since signing with the team in 2018. He led LA to an NBA Championship in 2020 and became the league's all-time leading scorer while wearing the purple and gold.

The Lakers are having a solid season even with the James drama. LA (33-21) is tied with the Minnesota Timberwolves for fifth in the Western Conference. The Lakers return to action Friday against the Los Angeles Clippers.

More NBA news:

Read full story at Yahoo Sport →