Paul Gorst: ‘There is hope yet’ over new contract for Konate despite potential ‘sticking point’
Paul Gorst is remaining hopeful that Ibrahima Konate will ultimately sign a new contract at Liverpool, with the clock rapidly ticking on a decision over his future.
DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL EMPIRE OF THE KOP APP FOR ALL THE LATEST & BREAKING UPDATES – STRAIGHT TO YOUR PHONE! ON APPLE & GOOGLE PLAY
The Frenchman’s current deal ends in just over four months’ time, although Arne Slot publicly stated last week that discussions are ongoing behind the scenes over a potential renewal for the 26-year-old.
Along with his Liverpool Echo colleague Ian Doyle, the aforementioned journalist recently made the case for the Reds’ number 5 to be kept on so that the club have secured a centre-back for his peak footballing years and won’t have to break the bank for a readymade first-team replacement.
Why Gorst thinks ‘there is hope yet’ over new deal for Konate
In a readers’ Q&A for the Liverpool Echo, Gorst was asked what he thinks will happen with Konate’s contract situation.
He replied: ‘It does indeed sound more promising on Ibrahima Konate’s contract situation, I would agree. I was in the room with Arne Slot on Friday when he told us that the club remained locked in talks over a new deal and it sounded fairly encouraging.’
(Photo by Lewis Storey/Getty Images)
The reporter raised one potential ‘sticking point’ regarding the player’s wage demands, noting that he’s still on the same weekly salary that he was earning when he came to Liverpool as a relatively unproven 22-year-old in 2021 and is now an established elite-level operator.
Gorst concluded: ‘Liverpool will have to pay a fortune to replace him this summer if he walks away, and that’s even factoring in Jeremy Jacquet’s imminent arrival. I’m hedging my bets at this point as we are nearly in March without a resolution but Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk only renewed in April [2025], so there is hope yet.’
Konate would be justified in seeking a significant pay rise
The journalist’s point about Konate’s wages staying the same for five years while many other teammates have had pay rises in that time is a pertinent one, and the defender will have also seen new signings who aren’t readymade starters coming in on higher salaries.
According to Capology, the 26-year-old is still on £70,000 per week, a relatively low wage within the Liverpool squad. For context, Giorgi Mamardashvili and Joe Gomez (neither of whom start as regularly as the Frenchman) earn £85,000 weekly, while perennial substitute Federico Chiesa is on £150,000 per week.
Those three are all being paid more than the Reds’ number 5 even though he’s the only one who’s a fixed starter in Slot’s team. That’s not to discredit or demean the others, but to substantiate why the France international might justifiably be clamouring for a substantial pay rise.
Although Konate has had some below-par performances this season, he’s been one of the few defenders who’s remained consistently available to LFC, which is significant in a campaign where injuries have decimated our backline.
Also, the 26-year-old has enjoyed a notable resurgence in form since returning from compassionate leave last month after the death of his father, putting in an outstanding display in the hard-fought win at Sunderland a week ago.
As Gorst mentioned, it wasn’t until April of last year that Salah and Van Dijk renewed their deals, so there’s no need for panic with our number 5 just yet. That said, it’d feel like a huge weight off everyone’s shoulders for a new deal to be struck sooner rather than later.
Scout reveals that £60m Liverpool signing almost joined PSG
Liverpool Agree Jeremy Jacquet Deal After PSG Hesitation
Liverpool have moved decisively in the market, agreeing a £60 million deal for highly rated defender Jeremy Jacquet, a player who was once closely assessed by PSG before slipping through their recruitment net. The France youth international has emerged as one of Europe’s most promising centre backs, and his expected arrival at Anfield under Arne Slot reflects Liverpool’s long term planning following their Premier League success in 2024/25.
Jacquet’s journey has not followed a straightforward path. While he is now widely regarded as a leading defensive prospect, PSG previously had reservations about his development when he was younger. Those early doubts contrast sharply with the form he has shown at Rennes this season, where his performances have attracted attention across Europe.
PSG scouting decision that shaped Jeremy Jacquet’s rise
As a teenager, Jeremy Jacquet trained within elite academy environments and drew interest from PSG scouts. However, their technical evaluation raised questions at the time. A former PSG scout told La Parisien: “PSG hesitated between him and Sékou Doucouré, whose profile was more in line with the club’s vision for the future.
“Jacquet had talent, but he seemed less technically ready.”
Photo: IMAGO
That decision ultimately proved significant. Doucouré did not progress into the PSG first team picture and later moved on, while Jacquet continued to refine his game elsewhere. The episode highlights how youth recruitment often involves calculated risks, particularly when assessing players at such an early stage of development.
Liverpool planning around Arne Slot’s defensive rebuild
Liverpool’s interest accelerated as Jacquet matured physically and tactically. Standing at 6’4″, he has developed into a commanding aerial presence and currently ranks among Europe’s most effective defenders in aerial duel success rate, sitting just behind Virgil van Dijk in key metrics.
Slot’s system places strong emphasis on defenders who can carry the ball confidently and distribute under pressure. Jacquet’s improved passing range and composure in possession have made him a natural fit for Liverpool’s evolving style. The club expect him to join after completing rehabilitation from shoulder surgery, which has limited his appearances during the latter stages of his time in France.
Recruitment staff at Liverpool believe the French defender’s trajectory mirrors the club’s philosophy of identifying players before they reach their peak value. His progression at Rennes has reinforced the view that early PSG doubts centred more on timing than long term ability.
Potential PSG and Liverpool Champions League rematch
There is added intrigue surrounding Jacquet’s move given Liverpool’s recent Champions League encounters with PSG. Last season’s knockout clash produced one of the tightest ties of the competition, despite arriving earlier than many anticipated. Observers felt Liverpool provided PSG with one of their sternest challenges on the road to European success.
This season, PSG remain a formidable opponent, though performances have suggested vulnerabilities, particularly during their play off tie against Monaco. Should the clubs meet again later in the competition, Jacquet’s impending switch to Liverpool would add another narrative layer to an already compelling rivalry.
Liverpool supporters will view the signing as a statement of intent. PSG’s earlier hesitation now reads as a missed opportunity, while Liverpool appear poised to benefit from a defender who has grown rapidly into one of France’s most talked about young talents.
USA-Canada Hockey Stars Split Before Olympic Gold
The Winter Olympics gold medal game between the United States and Canada hockey teams is set to be even more intense following rumors that the two countries' star players have split. This unexpected development comes just days before the highly anticipated match, adding an extra layer of drama to an already fierce rivalry between North American hockey powerhouses.