Article

Olympian to stand trial over speeding ticket — and more

Olympian to stand trial over speeding ticket

Sharron Davies, wearing a white jacket, sat behind a table at a press conference, with a microphone on the table
Olympic swimmer Sharron Davies is set to go on trial at Bath Magistrates' Court on 11 August [PA Media]

Former Olympic swimmer Baroness Sharron Davies is set to go on trial over a motorway speeding ticket.

Baroness Davies was captured by a speed camera travelling at 65mph (104km/h) on the M4 when the speed limit had been temporarily reduced to 50mph (80km/h), court papers say.

The alleged offence happened near junction 19 in South Gloucestershire just after 23:30 BST on 15 October 2025.

Baroness Davies, who lives in Bradford-on-Avon in Wiltshire, has contested the ticket claiming the signs were "poor" and "easy to miss". She is due to stand trial at Bath Magistrates' Court on 11 August.

Baroness Davies said in court documents that she was "shocked" to receive the speeding ticket.

"I pride myself on being a good driver, but also a safe one," she added.

More from Wiltshire

She wrote: "I am adamant that the signage was so poor it was easy to miss, which is what must have happened.

"I was travelling alone back from Wales where I had been at a speaking event.

"The signage was very unclear and I absolutely did not see clear signage to show the limit had gone down to 50mph (80km/h) from 70mph (112km/h) on the motorway.

"I was doing 67mph (107km/h), very much still inside the 70mph (112km/h) I thought it was.

"However I most definitely would have dropped my speed if I had been aware of the reduction.

"In 45 years of driving I have never contested a speeding fine.

"But I am adamant that the signage was so poor it was easy to miss, which is what must have happened."

Baroness Davies, an Olympic silver medallist, was nominated for a life peerage by Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch at the end of last year.

Follow BBC Wiltshire on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to us on email or via WhatsApp on 0800 313 4630.

More on this story

Related internet links

The Daily Mauling: 2/19/26

Oklahoma State Cowboys guard Anthony Roy (9) has his shot block by Kansas Jayhawks forward Flory Bidunga (40) as Kansas Jayhawks guard Darryn Peterson (22) defends during a men's college basketball game between the Oklahoma State Cowboys and the Kansas Jayhawks at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026. | BRYAN TERRY/THE OKLAHOMAN / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

Kansas Jayhawks News

ESPN has an entire article written about Darryn Peterson’s cramping last night

247 gives you Lance Leipold and Andy Kotelnicki’s thoughts on the new transfer QB they brought in

Through the Phog says KU’s trip up the Big 12 standings just got easier

Links!

The judge in Sherrone Moore’s case believes police may have made a critical error

What the K-State basketball players have to say about Jerome Tang and his firing

This AP story discusses how college basketball coaches are getting bold about criticizing their teams

Jon Scheyer is feuding with the DA who oversees Chapel Hill

ICE descended upon Lawrence this week, and arrested at least five people

The FCC Chairman is lying and claiming that Stephen Colbert is lying about the FCC

Question of the Day

Ok, this is a weird one. Blame Shabs for suggesting it. Tony Clark recently resigned from his position as MLBPA president after an internal investigation into an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, who also worked for the same organization. The question? Which is worse, wife’s sister, or brother’s wife?

Cowboys, Giants and Eagles could battle over Browns $100 million cut candidate

Cowboys, Giants and Eagles could battle over Browns $100 million cut candidate originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.

With the Cleveland Browns turning the page to a new chapter after the firing of Kevin Stefanski and the hiring of Todd Monken, one analyst believes the team could cut ties with one of its defensive stalwarts.

The Browns are projected to have just $3.2 million in cap space, so there could be some cuts and/or restructures coming.

One Browns cut candidate in the eyes of Matt Okada of NFL.com is cornerback Denzel Ward, who is set to account for a cap hit of $32.8 million in the second-to-last year of his $100 million contract. A post-June 1 release would create $19.9 million in cap space while incurring a dead-cap charge of $12.9 million.

"Given what he’s meant to the team for the better part of a decade, this would be a more surprising cut, but it also might make sense as Cleveland looks to the future under new head coach Todd Monken," Okada wrote.

A five-time Pro Bowler, Ward is getting up there in age as he prepares to turn 29 in April, but he is still playing at a starting-caliber level.

In 2025, Ward gave up a completion rate of 61.3% and a passer rating of 88.1 when targeted. He also added one interception and nine passes defensed.

Ward did, however, post the lowest Pro Football Focus coverage grade of his career with a 59.7, which has helped knock him out of the elite category for the time being.

Even still, if Ward becomes available in free agency, the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys could all compete for his services.

The Eagles have two very good corners in Quinyon Mitchell and Cooper DeJean, but the team is lacking a reliable option to play on the boundary opposite Mitchell.

The Giants should be set in the slot with Dru Phillips, but Cor'Dale Flott, who was the team's best cornerback in 2025, is a pending free agent. Even if Flott returns, New York needs a better solution across from him.

In Dallas, the Cowboys have parted ways with Trevon Diggs, which leaves DaRon Bland and not much else in the way of reliable options. That's bad news for a Cowboys defense that gave up the most passing yards per game last season.

Based on projected cap space, the Eagles are best positioned to make a strong run at Ward if he's cut. The Giants have the second-most cap space of the three teams, while the Cowboys bring up the rear.

At this stage in his career, Ward is going to be looking for a chance to win a Super Bowl on top of a starting role. All three teams can provide the latter, but the Eagles are no doubt Ward's best option for the former.

More NFL News

BBC to show Wrexham v Chelsea & Wolves v Liverpool in FA Cup

Wrexham players celebrate during their FA Cup third-round win over Nottingham Forest
Wrexham beat Premier League opponents in the FA Cup third round - knocking out Nottingham Forest [Getty Images]

Chelsea's FA Cup fifth-round tie at Championship side Wrexham will be televised live on BBC One on Saturday, 7 March (17:45 GMT kick-off).

The all-Premier League fixture between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Liverpool at Molineux will be shown on BBC One on Friday, 6 March (20:00 GMT).

Both matches will also be live on iPlayer and the BBC Sport website and app.

Wrexham will be hoping to cause another upset against Chelsea, having knocked out Premier League opponents Nottingham Forest in the third round.

There are eight fifth-round ties to be played across four days from 6-9 March.

FA Cup fifth-round TV games

Friday, 6 March

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Liverpool (20:00) - BBC One, iPlayer, TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Saturday, 7 March

Mansfield Town v Arsenal (12:15) - TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Wrexham v Chelsea (17:45) - BBC One, iPlayer, TNT Sports 2 and discovery+

Newcastle United v Manchester City (20:00) - TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Sunday, 8 March

Fulham v Southampton (12:00) - TNT Sports 2 and discovery+

Port Vale or Bristol City v Sunderland (13:30) - TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Leeds United v Norwich City (16:30) - TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Monday, 9 March

West Ham United v Brentford (19:30) - TNT Sports 1 and discovery+

Yellowjackets report: UWS women stumble at Crown

Feb. 19—Buckets were just too hard to come by for Wisconsin-Superior women's basketball on Wednesday night, resulting in a 50-47 Upper Midwest Athletic Conference loss at Crown College in St. Bonifacius, Minnesota.

UWS was just 18-for-60 (30%) from the field and 5-for-24 (21%) from 3-point land. The last of those attempts, a 3-pointer from Maddie Reott at the buzzer, missed to end the contest.

UWS led 22-20 at the break but gave up a 12-0 run coming out of halftime and spent the second half chasing the game. UWS closed the third quarter on a 9-0 run to cut a deficit from 34-24 to 34-33 and briefly led in the fourth quarter. Crown had another run, which UWS erased to tie the game on an Ella Olson free throw with 1:02 to play, but three Crown free throws in the final 15 seconds proved the difference.

Hope Carlson led UWS with 10 points and eight rebounds.

The Yellowjackets (10-14, 7-4 UMAC) will close out the regular season with a Saturday, Feb. 21 home game vs. Minnesota Morris, who they may also play next week in the semifinals of the UMAC tournament.

The offensive end of the floor didn't go any better for the Wisconsin-Superior men's basketball team as their female counterparts on Wednesday.

The Yellowjackets were 19-for-66 (29%) from the floor in a 70-53 loss at Crown.

UWS fell behind 40-28 in the first half, a deficit that reached as much as 21 points down the stretch.

Gage Braiedy scored 13 points for UWS (6-18, 2-9 UMAC), which wraps up its season at home vs. Minnesota Morris on Saturday, Feb. 21.

In brief

Former coach of U.S. Winter Olympics figure skating gold medalist Amber Glenn arrested on sexual assault charges The 47-year-old, who has been affiliated with the Dallas Figure Skating Club, is facing charges of indecency with a child and sexual assault.

What and Who to Watch at the 2026 NFL Combine Gotta hand it to the league for giving this event the most appropriate name possible. In addition to being the most impactful pre-Draft gathering for prospects to showcase their on-field abilities, the NFL Combine also allows fantasy managers to combine…

Olympics skiing halfpipe, aerials final postponed by heavy snow The mens aerials qualifiers and final and freestyle skiing halfpipe were postponed Thursday due to heavy snow in Livigno, Italy, officials announced.

Official: Thibaut Courtois becomes owner of a club PollThe Belgian goalkeeper invests in a French clubOfficial: Thibaut Courtois becomes owner of a clubThibaut Courtois is expanding his horizons beyond the pitch. The Real Madrid goalkeeper has become ...

Thibaut Courtois joins Novak Djokovic as co-owner of French football club Thibaut Courtois is one of the best football players in the world, known for making big moves on the pitch. The Belgian star, a winner of two Champions League titles and multiple La Liga titles with Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid, has also been ‘making moves’ away from the football